Introducing WiSer: Bringing Wireless Convenience to Serial Connectivity
WiSer empowers you to create a seamless, wireless peer-to-peer serial connection between two devices. Whether you’re debugging code, logging data, updating firmware, or transferring files, say goodbye to the hassle of USB cables, unreliable Wi-Fi routers, or fussy Bluetooth setups. Engineered for simplicity and efficiency, WiSer eliminates the need for software, drivers, or any setup complexities. To your devices, it’s simply a cable. WiSer serves as a wireless alternative to FTDI or CP2102-based USB to TTL converters. Connect the USB module to your computer, link the TTL module to your target device, open your preferred serial terminal software, and experience the freedom to move around while you work!
WiSer is as a fully open-source solution, compatible with diverse devices and operating systems. Whether your work involves Windows, Linux, Mac, or Android platforms, and whether you favor PuTTY, Tera Term, screen, or any other custom application, WiSer offers a convenient and dependable solution for seamless serial communication, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
- Reliable Wireless Serial Connectivity: Stable and efficient wireless serial communication, eliminating the need for cumbersome cables and providing the freedom of wireless connectivity.
- Hassle-Free Setup: Plug-and-play in nature, quick and effortless setup without the need for software or driver installations.
- Secure Data Transfer: Data protection through AES-CCMP encryption, ensures a secure and private wireless communication experience.
- Complete Electrical Isolation: Provides full electrical isolation between your embedded device and PC, enhancing safety and preventing electrical interference.
- Compatibility and Convenience: Compatible with a wide range of embedded devices and operating systems, providing versatility and ease of use.
- High Performance: Delivers reliable and fast communication, making it ideal for debugging, logging, firmware updates, and high-speed data transfer over the serial port.
Empowering Innovators: Solutions for Developers, Engineers, and Hobbyists
Serial interfaces are here to stay, and the potential applications for WiSer continue to expand. Examples include:
- Wireless programming and debugging of microcontrollers such as Arduino, ESP8266, and ESP32
- Remote control and monitoring of robotics
- Configuration of embedded systems remotely
- Wireless data logging and telemetry
- Remote access to industrial equipment
- Home automation and smart-home applications
- Remote control of drones and RC vehicles
- Wireless access to GPS and radio modules
- Wireless communication with energy-monitoring systems
- Integration of wireless barcode scanners
- Remote control of appliances wirelessly
- Wireless communication between two computers
WiSer is available in two configurations: a pair consisting of WiSer-USB and WiSer-TTL devices or a set of two WiSer-USB devices. Take a closer look at WiSer! 🎥 Watch the video on YouTube now.
WiSer-USB connects to your PC/Device. Upon powering up, the WiSer-USB creates a virtual serial port on the host system and waits for its paired WiSer device to power up as well. The WiSer-USB device is factory-paired with either a WiSer-TTL or another WiSer-USB device, depending on the product variant. Once both the WiSer-USB and the paired device are powered up, they automatically establish a connection. The device has a “Find Pair” button to identify the paired device as well as to toggle the RTS/CTS hardware flow control functionality based on duration of button press.
The WiSer-TTL device connects to your embedded device for wireless communication. Upon power-up, the WiSer-TTL will establish a connection with its paired WiSer-USB device. The WiSer-TTL device is available in different variants. You can choose between models with header pins pre-mounted or models with loose header pins. This flexibility allows you to select the option that best suits your project/product requirements.
Features & Specifications
- Based on ESP32-S2 Wi-Fi SoC
- No driver installation required
- Provides virtual serial port on host
- Provides complete electrical isolation between your Embedded Device and PC
- Targeted for modern devices with USB Type-C ports
- Compatible with Windows, Linux, Mac, and Android
- Peer-to-peer wireless communication over 2.4 GHz
- Data protection using AES-CCMP encryption
- Supported baud rates: all standard and custom rates up to 921,600 baud
- Supported data bits: 6-bit, 7-bit, 8-bit
- Supported parity types: NONE, ODD, EVEN, MARK, and SPACE
- Supported stop bits: 1-bit, 1.5-bit, 2-bit
- Supported flow control: software (XON/XOFF), hardware (RTS/CTS), and None
- Equipped with DTR control pin
- RX, TX, and CONN indicator LEDs
- “FIND PAIR” button to locate the paired device (useful when deploying multiple WiSer devices)
- “BOOT” button to update ESP32-S2 firmware
- Fully open-source
- Physical dimensions
- WiSer-USB: 37.8 x 20.4 x 8.2 mm (35.8 x 14.4 x 4.7 mm without enclosure)
- WiSer-TTL: 36.5 x 38.4 x 9.8 mm (28 x 29 x 4.3 mm without enclosure or header pins)
Host to Host Wireless Communication
We recognize the diverse connectivity needs, and to cater to this, we provide various versions of WiSer. If you’re looking for seamless wireless communication between two systems, especially those equipped only with USB ports, our WiSer-USB device pair stands out as the perfect solution.
Enable Broadcast Mode (Optional)
If you have multiple WiSer-enabled devices and want to establish wireless serial communication between them without physical cables, you can enable the Broadcast Mode. This mode allows seamless wireless serial communication between multiple devices in your environment.
By default, WiSer devices are equipped with firmware that includes pre-paired devices, facilitating secure point-to-point wireless serial communication with data encryption enabled. Please be aware that the Broadcast mode is disabled by default.
WiSer offers different package variants to suit your specific needs. Please review the table below to understand the package contents for each SKU variant:
|It comes with one WiSer-USB device and one WiSer-TTL device with loose header pins (Not mounted). It’s suitable for mounting the WiSer-TTL on your own PCB.
|It comes with one WiSer-USB device and one WiSer-TTL device with header pins mounted and also includes Enclosures. It’s suitable for connecting the target device using jumper cables.
|It comes with two WiSer-USB devices. It’s suitable for creating a serial port connection between two host systems.
For more information refer WiSer Product Manual
WiSer, a project close to our hearts, is fully open-source and officially certified by OSHWA. As we have launched our campaign, we’re excited to share not just the product but the essence of WiSer—its design files, source code, and documentation are already released on GitHub. Our mission is to empower you, the users, ensuring that WiSer is not just a product but a canvas for your creativity. We aim to make programming, understanding, customizing, and troubleshooting WiSer a journey that’s as seamless as possible. Join us in this adventure of wireless connectivity, where innovation knows no bounds!
- WiSer Quick Start Guide
- WiSer Product Manual
- WiSer Specification
- Source Code and Hardware Files
- Hackaday.io Project Page
In the Press
Upgrade Your Serial Communication
Elevate your UART communication to a new dimension with WiSer. Cut the cords and bid farewell to limitations. Subscribe now to stay in the loop about our product launch and be among the first users embracing the freedom of WiSer. Join us as we redefine connectivity, making every transmission an emotion, and every moment wirelessly connected.